Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013



IT'S FUN TO WATCH THE PUP EXPLORE.


Flower beds, porches, barns-- anything that moves is not off-limits to this little one.  I knew that I'd never have enough pictures, but i took as many as seemed practical at the time. 

Time swiftly moved along, and I suddenly realized that the pup was learning more than I was teaching.  (Papa was moving too slowly.)  There is a school of thought that says you shouldn't teach a pointing dog to sit before it has learned to point--or something like that.  In my experience, that's bull.  If the dog is any kind of smart, it won't take but a little time to correct any sitting caused by pressure from training. I had Taylor, a german shorthair that my wife taught "sit" when I was away for work.  He withstood pressure just fine.  Later, Kid, my Brittany, sat when pressured--but that's a Brittany "thing" to make you feel like you're pushing them too hard.  Had I known at the time, I would have pushed her through that behavior rather than "backing off".

 ..Kid was funny when she pointed.  Sometimes she'd "hit" a point, but mostly, she looked like a wind-up toy that simply ran out of "spring" as she slowly eased into a point and stopped.  Once I knew what to look for, I was okay with it.  Again, had I known, I would have pushed her through the submissiveness, showed her that it didn't work, and I believe her points would have been more intense and  "dramatic".

No comments:

Post a Comment