Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

"PRESSURE"

The lead trainer moved deeply into my "personal space"-- much like my US Army drill instructor did so many years ago.  It confused me a little, but I knew and trusted him.  He was clearly pushing me.  He was saying, "You can falsetto can't you?  Let me hear you falsetto.  C'mon, falsetto!  You can do it!  Give me a falsetto!"  It was amazing to me.  I was almost having an out-of-body experience. 

Ah, summer fun!
I was thinking,  "So this is how the dogs feel when they are being trained!"   

It was June 2017 and I was attending a NAVHDA chapter's training session in Maine.  It was a "train the trainer" exercise, focused on helping a handler identify his/her weak (handling) points.   It was very, very good "medicine"! 

The lead trainer was trying to pull me out of my low-energy, "mono-tone-ous" behavior--for K-Lee's sake as well as my own.  He was also trying to get me to exhibit energy that would "help" the dog's and my relationship.

Cognitively, I understood what he was doing.  I probably looked dumbfounded, but internally, I was  marveling at the emotions I felt under his "pressure". 
  1. I clearly understood what he wanted.
  2. I wasn't afraid of being hurt by him but felt "pressured".
  3. I wanted to do it.
  4. I wasn't sure if I could do it..
To be on the receiving end of that "pressure" was amazing!  We talked afterwards and I told him that "I'll have to ask my doctor turn up the pacemaker."  We both  chuckled at the thought.

Besides the fact that K-Lee has an emotional side that can go from zero to a hundred in a heartbeat;  physically, I have slowed down considerably.  (The falsetto would have been an equivalent to the squeaky voice that people use when talking to babies, puppies and kittens.)  If I had wound her up, I wouldn't have been able to keep up.  Therein was the dilemma.

I spent the next several weeks thinking through the event--doing mental replays of each station and how I was handling.  I wondered if dogs do that after training sessions.  ...I'll bet they do.

K-Lee contemplating pressure
When K-Lee and I are in the woods and "on our game",  I'm generally satisfied that we work well enough together.  I decided to focus and build on that.

I'm thankful for the "pressure" experience.  It helped me to come to a better understanding of my expectations and goals.  

When I think on it, I realize that training "pressure" is good--not only for dogs, but people too.  







 

No comments:

Post a Comment