Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2015

THE STILL SMALL VOICE

Fellow NAVHDA member and professional, Blaine Carter of Merrymeeting Kennels in Maine once shared with me great insight.  He said to me that handlers should always speak as softly as they possibly could to their dog. I gave his words some serious thought and decided that I would do my best to take it as "counsel".

It wasn't long before I could see improvements in the relationship between K-Lee and myself.  Interestingly, the dog is able to "think" and "problem solve" more efficiently. (Some might even say they act less "neurotic". )
I'll share an example of problem solving:


We were doing a drill in which I place a bumper at twenty yards, another at thirty yards, a third one at fifty yards and sometimes another farther out.  The purpose is for her fun, her exercise (deep snow limits our activities), and of course, repetition of retrieving basics. 

 

After K-Lee had retrieved the closest bumper, I would line her up and send her for the second, then the third and so on.  Mingled in with other 'exercises', she enjoyed the drill immensely.  We ran  it several times over the several weeks. 

Last week, she decided to change the game.

I sent her for the first bumper.  She fetched it, came to my side and sat at heel--waiting to give it up.  She was given praise and petted.  After the bumper "changed hands",  I calmly stroked her flank, softly praised her, and then sent her for the second.  She ran to the second, picked it up and ran to the third.  She picked up the third along with the second and brought them both to me in one trip.  I thought, "Now that's a 'double retrieve'!"

I know what you're thinking:  "Wow, you don't want to let that become a habit!"  You're right.  We immediately stopped the multiple retrieves and went back to single retrieves.  However, yesterday, I tried the drill again to see what she'd do.  You guessed it.  Two at a time.  That will easily be corrected.  Larger bumpers or repetition on singles.

What really amazed and intrigued me was her "problem solving ability".  Who says dogs can't reason?  The "still small voice" helps them build trust, confidence and "mental" room to grow.  

Perhaps we should practice that "still small voice" with each other.  ...What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment