Search This Blog

Saturday, January 17, 2015

BOOK REPORT--"WOODCOCK-Fieldcraft and Quarry" (unaffiliated)

I purchased and just finished reading Professor Colin Trotman's book "WOODCOCK - Fieldcraft and Quarry".  When the book was delivered, I noticed the fine photography and high quality paper.  It looks like a great coffee table book.   However, unlike many American books of this 'flavor'--"Woodcock-Fieldcraft and Quarry" comes from the UK-- there is a high percentage of text.  I became filled with doubt and skepticism, thinking that perhaps this was written like a college textbook and worse yet, perhaps this was some 'professor's' attempt at 'stardom'.  I was wrong. After reading this book, I think that I would enjoy sitting in Professor Trotman's classes.  I would be the guy taking notes.

It took me a few minutes to get into the UK 'syntax', but once I did, I found the writing to be stimulating and very informative.  It's almost as if he and I were sitting at a table having tea--hot chocolate for me--and he was "filling me in" on the subject of woodcock.  The shrouds of mystery were pulled back and I was able to understand the migrations of the European woodcock, its coverts and its place in the hunting community. His thrill of the sport and his respect for the woodcock clearly comes through.

The European woodcock (Scolopax Rustica) is similar in many ways to our American woodcock (Scolopax Minor).  The biggest difference is size.  The European woodcock is about the size of a pigeon, and the American one is about the size of a quail.  To my eyes, the second big difference is the color of the breast feathers.  

The author challenges some of the present European--and American--'beliefs' concerning woodcock.  He even postulates his own theories with very clear arguments.  It is possible for him to do so because he is clearly an authority on the bird and is recognized as such.  He has spent over forty years studying the woodcock and receives reports from 'kindred spirits' on both sides of the English Channel.  As an avid "walk-up shooter" of this game bird, Professor Colin Trotman has "paid his dues".   He is using his well-earned 'platform' in the "woodcock community" to point Europe in a direction it should go to manage its favorite game bird.

I enjoyed and identified with his comments on conservation and sportsmanship.  My eyes were opened as he pointed out that woodcock --and other species--often used active oil rigs in the North Sea to rest during their migration from Scandinavian coverts to Ireland and Wales.  My imagination was piqued as he described migrations of woodcock from Russia traveling through Germany, Belgium, France--and even how some migrated to Greece, Italy, and the Azores and Canary Islands. I was amazed when he pointed out multiple, highly qualified sources (i.e game keepers, scientists, etc.) that have observed a female woodcock fly from danger with a chick between its legs--and in some cases, return the chick after the danger is passed.  This observation directly contradicts beliefs of America's Frank Woolner, a noted woodcock authority in his own right..

I'm pleased that I purchased the book, and recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about the woodcock--especially the European woodcock.  I'm also pleased to have learned quite a few things from this book that can be "translated" to the American woodcock.  And finally, as Professor Trotman says in the text's last sentence, "Over to you."



No comments:

Post a Comment